Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships assist meritorious undergraduate and graduate students to undertake training in less commonly taught modern foreign languages (i.e., any language other than English, Spanish, German, or French) and related area or international studies.
Eligible students apply online via this website to one of the four area studies programs, listed below, authorized to make FLAS awards. Funding for FLAS Fellowships is provided by the U.S. Department of Education through Title VI of the Higher Education Opportunity Act.
Two types of FLAS fellowships are offered: academic year and summer intensive.
For both graduate students and undergraduate students, academic year fellowships provide partial tuition coverage and a stipend. All recipients of academic year fellowships are required to enroll in a full-time course of study, which must include at least one language and one area studies course per semester. In some cases, FLAS fellowships may be applied toward study abroad costs.
Summer intensive fellowships for both undergraduate and graduate students provide tuition support and a stipend for applicants wishing to engage in intensive language study. Please note that that availability of graduate and undergraduate fellowships varies by area program.
Eligibility is restricted to US citizens or permanent residents. Most applicants must be at the intermediate or advanced level of study of a less commonly taught language. Please contact individual programs for more information about this requirement. Both masters and PhD degree students may apply for graduate fellowships. However, students enrolled in the Cornell Law School are not eligible to apply. Further restrictions may apply (see program links below).
Awards are made on an annual basis during the spring semester. The deadline to submit an online application is the first Monday in February. Please check here for dates. To access the appropriate online application, click on one of the links below:*
- FLAS fellowships in Arabic, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Dutch, Italian, Modern Greek, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, or Turkish are administered by the Cornell Institute for European Studies (CIES).
- Note: this program has been terminated. CIES is no longer offering FLAS Fellowships for European languages.
- FLAS fellowships in Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Mongolian or Tibetan are administered by the Cornell East Asia Program (EAP).
- FLAS fellowships in Bengali, Hindi, Nepali, Persian or Sinhala are administered by the South Asia Program (SAP).
- FLAS fellowships in Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer (Cambodian), Tagalog, Thai, or Vietnamese are administered by the Southeast Asia Program (SEAP).
Languages listed in bold have been designated "priority languages" by the U.S. Government.
*Listed are only those modern languages that are currently approved by the Department of Education to receive FLAS support at Cornell. Applicants for summer FLAS may be permitted to apply to study other languages. Please contact the appropriate area program for more information.