Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Program
The Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Program has returned in 2022!
This Department of Education program supports faculty conducting international research in modern foreign languages and area studies. The Einaudi Center will assist you through the application process, beginning with your intent to apply. Applications open May 9.
Start your application no later than June 10 by emailing our Fulbright project director, David Holmberg, to indicate intent to apply. Please note that your application must be submitted through the university and have your department chair's approval.
What is the Fulbright-Hays Program?
The Fulbright-Hays FRA Program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual faculty members. Funded faculty conduct research in other countries in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of three to twelve months.
Can I go to any country?
The program does not fund projects in countries on suspension. For a current list of suspended countries, email the Fulbright director.
What expenses are covered?
- International travel expenses
- Maintenance stipend based on the fellow's academic year salary
- Project allowance for research-related expenses
- Intent to apply: June 10
- Preliminary budget: June 13
- Cornell application: June 20
- National application: July 13
Cornell faculty are eligible. In addition, you must fulfill these criteria:
- You are a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident.
- You have engaged in teaching relevant to modern foreign languages and area studies for the two years immediately preceding the award date.
- Your proposed research project relates to your language or area specialization.
- You have the necessary foreign language skills for your project.
- Your project is not solely focused on Western Europe or North America.
- Your project is not dissertation research for a doctoral degree.
How to Apply
Email the Fulbright director with your intent to apply by June 10. Applicants must apply through Cornell and meet the university's submission deadline of June 20. Applications are submitted to Cornell's Office of Sponsored Programs on June 24 and to the Department of Education on July 6. The national deadline is July 13.