Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowships

Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Fellowships support research overseas in modern foreign languages and area studies. The prestigious six- to twelve-month awards are sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education.

Applications for 2017 are now available

The deadline for the October 2017 - March 2019 Fulbright-Hays DDRA application is March 1, 2017. 

Interested students must contact the Einaudi Center's Fulbright advisor by February 1 to indicate their intention to apply. 

Prof. Gil Levine
Email fulbright@einaudi.cornell.edu
Tel 607-255-8933 or 607-255-6370

Applications are available at www.g5.gov. Cornell students must submit their applications through the Einaudi Center.

The Einaudi Center assists Cornell graduate students in applying for DDRA fellowships. The center also administers the awards for successful applicants.

Fellowships begin after October 15 and must end by March 30 of the second year of the grant period.

For detailed information about this opportunity see the FAQ page.

Types of projects supported 

The DDRA program supports projects that deepen knowledge about areas of the world not generally included in U.S. curricula, and that help host nations improve their research capability. 

Specified geographic areas

Africa, East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands, South Asia, the Near East, Central and Eastern Europe and Eurasia, and the Western Hemisphere (excluding the United States and its territories). The program does not support projects in Western Europe. 

Competitive priorities

  1. Research projects that focus on any of the 78 priority languages in the U.S. Department of Education's list of Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTLs) (three points).
  2. Research projects in the fields of economics, engineering, international development, mathematics, political science, public health, science, comparative or international education, or technology proposed by an applicant who will use advanced language proficiency in one of the 78 LCTLs (five points). 

A fellow must... 

  • Be a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the United States;
  • Be a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution;
  • Be planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation; and
  • Possess language skills necessary to carry out the dissertation project.

Expenses covered

  • Travel, including excess baggage to and from the fellow's residence in the host country;
  • Maintenance and allowances for dependents;
  • Research related expenses such as books, copying, tuition and affiliation fees, local travel, and other incidental expenses;
  • Health and accident insurance; and
  • $100 administrative fee to applicant institution.