Fall 2020 Gatty Lecture Series
The Fall 2020 Gatty Lecture Series
We are happy to announce the Fall 2020 Gatty Lecture Series! All lectures will be held virtually on Zoom, and more information for each talk is available below.
The timing of the lecture series has changed for this semester. Talks will still be held on Thursdays, but to accommodate speakers and audiences in Asia some will take place at 12:40pm EDT and others at 8:00pm EDT. Please be sure to read the description for each talk to be certain which time slot it will be.
List of Speakers
- 9/17 - Tom Pepinsky (Cornell): Pandemic Politics in Southeast Asia: Society, Governance, and the State
- 9/24 - Sopheak Chann (Royal University Phnom Penh): Frontier Construction and Place-Making in Cambodia Post-Conflict Resource Landscapes
- 10/1 - Darin Sanders Self (Cornell): Binding Contestation: How Party-Military Relations Influenced Democratization in Indonesia and Paraguay
- 10/8 - Patrick Jory (University of Queensland): A History of Manners and Civility in Thailand: The Civilizing Process in a Southeast Asian Society
- 10/15 - Megan Sinnott (Georgia State University): Ghostly Meanings, Spectral Affects: Market Transformations and Possibilities in the Thai Spirit World
- 10/22 - Sharyn Davies (Monash University): Indonesia's Im/moral Turn: Drivers and Consequences, Especially in a Covid-19 World
- 10/29 - Genevieve Clutario (Wellesley College): Beauty Regimens: Disciplining Filipina Labor Under U.S. Empire
- 11/5 - Kathryn Sweet (Independent Scholar, Lao PDR): Health Sector Contestation in Cold War Laos, 1950-1975
- 11/12 - Sarah Grant (California State University, Fullerton): Dirty Coffee: Scandal, Scrutiny, and Food Safety in Vietnam
- 11/19 - Sittithep Eaksittipong (Chiang Mai University): The Social and Political Lives of G. William Skinner and Chinese Society in Thailand
- 12/3 - Anissa Rahadiningtyas (Cornell): Tulisan Jawi: Decolonizing the “Modern” and the “Islamic” in Indonesian Art
- 12/10 - Roger Nelson (National Gallery Singapore): Realism as an Attitude as an Attitude
The poster of Gatty Lectures for Fall 2020 contains information about all lectures as well, including speaker names, affiliations, and lecture titles.