Skip to main content

International Research Travel Grants

Man at the airport watching a plane

Application Deadline: March 14, 2022

Do you need to travel internationally for your short-term research or fieldwork?  

The Einaudi Center sponsors academic travel for individual Cornell graduate students and professional students. If you’re traveling between the United States and a host country for activities directly related to your dissertation or thesis research—or for other academic experiences in the international arena—Einaudi can help you get there. 

Two-Time Recipient: Research in New Delhi



  • Travel grants must be used for airfare only.

  • The awards do not fund travel to international conferences. 
  • Travel must originate and end in the United States.
  • Minimum stay abroad is 14 days and a maximum of six months.
  • Awards are based on the proposal submitted at the time of application.
  • Applicants who need to change the country or topic after being awarded the grant can send in a petition for consideration, given the uncertainty surrounding travel. 
  • Travel must take place between June 1, 2022 and August 31, 2023, and cannot be funded retroactively. 

International Travel Approval

Due to Covid-19 restrictions, awards for international travel will be made contingent on travel approval. The current travel policy prohibits international travel unless approved by the International Travel Advisory & Response Team (ITART).

To receive the award, selected students must follow the university’s guidelines to petition for permission to travel internationally, to be submitted no earlier than six weeks and at least two weeks before the scheduled travel. In addition, students must participate in a short, online international travel predeparture orientation course in order to receive travel approval.

Please be aware that regardless of your destination, approval may be withdrawn if there is a change in the risk level of your destination or if we find you violate any contingencies of approval given. In such instances, you will be required to refund the award.  


March 14, 2022. 


Up to $2,000. 


Graduate students or students enrolled in Cornell’s professional schools are eligible, with the following exceptions:

  • Students graduating in May 2022

  • Students who have not used 2020 or 2021 awards


If I received an Einaudi Center International Research Travel Grant award in 2020 or 2021, will I be able to bank the award and reapply in 2022?

2020 and 2021 travel grant awardees may retain their award for future use when the university permits travel (with a deadline of August 31, 2023). As awardees have outstanding unused awards, they may not apply for another travel grant in 2022.

When do I need to complete travel if I received a 2020 or 2021 award?

August 31, 2023. This is based on the assumption that travel will open up by the summer or fall for graduate students. Reminder: Graduate students must go through the petition process to obtain approval for travel during the period of COVID travel restrictions.

Can I use my 2020 or 2021 travel grant to cover local expenses, engage in research in the United States, or conduct research remotely?

No. Travel grant funds are specifically earmarked for international travel to your research site and cannot be diverted for any other use.

What happens to my funding if I graduate in May 2022 and have been unable to use my travel grant?

2020 and 2021 awardees who are graduating in May 2022 will automatically forfeit the award if they do not obtain permission to travel and complete their research by May 2022.

If I apply and receive an award in 2022, when will I be able to begin travel?

Awards will be for travel between June 1, 2022, and August 31, 2023. However, the university must approve travel. Learn how to petition for permission to travel internationally.

Additional Information