Coronavirus Updates: Cornell is working with campus partners, as well as local and state resources, to protect the health and well-being of the Cornell community. Learn more ⟶

Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Woman holding child


Applications must be submitted electronically by August 31, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. EST to meet the campus deadline.

Info Sessions

We host information sessions once during the fall semester and twice during the spring semester. View upcoming information sessions.


Visit the FAQ page

Contact Us

Interested? Email program administrator Elizabeth Edmondson or call 607-255-8933 to schedule an appointment with the Fulbright advisor.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program of the U.S. Department of State provides grants for study or research abroad for U.S. citizens who are graduate students or will have earned a bachelor’s degree before September of the year for which the grant is being awarded.


What to Know about Applying

  • The Fulbright U.S. Student Program supports programs for research or teaching English abroad in more than 155 countries.
  • Only U.S. citizens can apply.
  • Applications in all fields of study are welcome. A GPA of 3.0 or better is required.
  • Registered Cornell students must apply through the Cornell Fulbright program. The Fulbright program at Cornell is administered by the Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies.
  • Cornell supports your application! The Einaudi Center provides counseling, review of essays, and general application support. This support is available to all applicants, including Cornell study abroad students and alumni.
  • Are you currently studying abroad? Email the Einaudi Center ( for guidance.
  • Have you graduated? Alumni can apply through the university, so long as Cornell is the last institution attended. 


When to Apply

  • Freshmen and sophomores: Plan ahead by thinking of the world region or country that interests you, and begin charting a course towards preparing an application in your junior year. Fulbright applications are submitted at the beginning of the senior year for the year immediately after graduation. Here are some steps you can take right now:
    • Learn a language.
    • Take at least one course relevant to the country or region.
    • Establish relationships with professors to make reference requests easier.
  • Juniors: If you want to start the program immediately after graduating in 2021, begin preparing your application now for submission in Fall 2020.
  • All graduates of Cornell are eligible to apply through the university and are competitive up to five years after graduating.
  • A successful application requires a minimum of 4-6 months of preparation. START EARLY. View the suggested timeline for completing your application. 


Grant types

 Special Fulbright Program Opportunities



Applicants must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen at the time of application. Permanent residents are not eligible.
  • Hold a bachelor's degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant. Undergraduates may apply at the beginning of their senior year. Applicants may hold a JD degree at the time of application, but not a doctorate.*
  • Be in good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician.
  • Have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study. This is especially important for projects in the social sciences and the humanities.

*MDs or medical students or the equivalent (e.g, DDS, OD) who wish to continue medical or hospital training or to obtain practical clinical experience should apply to IIE. However, MDs who have completed formal postgraduate training and propose attachment to a hospital or clinic for independent or collaborative research should apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars.


Review Process

Applications from all U.S. universities are reviewed at the national level. Recommendations are then sent to host countries, which must approve the applicants before awards are announced in the spring.