The Southeast Asia Program (SEAP) supports all Cornell students interested Southeast Asia, including undergraduate majors and minors, master's students in the Department of Asian Studies, and graduate students across campus. Explore our website for more information on joining SEAP or pursuing a graduate degree with us.
You can study six Southeast Asian languages at Cornell—Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese—offered at four levels of instruction.
Learning a Southeast Asian language will allow you to develop a more profound understanding the region and unlock a world of exciting new experiences. To learn more, visit our course listings. You can also take advantage of summer language study programs in Southeast Asian languages and study abroad programs in Southeast Asia tailored to various disciplines and interests.
SEAP can support you with funding for language study and study abroad, especially once you start learning a Southeast Asian language.
SEAP has established internships with a variety of partner organizations and institutions in Southeast Asia, offering you practical field experience within specific fields and helping you broaden your global knowledge. We will help students explore virtual internships and other connections while travel restrictions are in place, and encourage students to study a Southeast Asian language at Cornell to prepare for future opportunities!
If you would like to receive regular updates about SEAP events, funding deadlines, career opportunities, and more, be sure to fill out our student form.
Summer Language Study
There are a number of summer language study programs SEAP students can take advantage of, both in the U.S. and abroad. SEAP provides funding for these experiences.
- Southeast Asian Summer Studies Institute (SEASSI) in Madison, Wisconsin (currently offering virtual instruction)
- US-INDO Summer Language Study in Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Advanced Study of Khmer, in Siem Reap, Cambodia
- CKS Khmer Language and Culture Study Program, in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Critical Language Scholarship Program in Indonesia or elsewhere
Take your outside of the classroom and overseas! Study abroad for a semester or an academic year in Southeast Asia and deepen your knowledge of the region. SEAP works with the Office of Global Learning and Experience Cornell to curate study abroad opportunities in Southeast Asia.
- Indonesian Overseas Program
- TEAN Semester in Thailand
- Singapore Management University
- TEAN Semester in Vietnam
- ISDI Sustainable Development Studies in Thailand
- Conservation, Ethics, and Environmental Change in Cambodia
- Darmasiswa Scholarship Program
Winter Session Study Abroad
Don't have time to go jetting off during the academic year? SEAP faculty run unique opportunities for experiential learning in Southeast Asia during winter session. Sign up for the SEAP listserv to be informed about these courses as they become available. Previous courses have included:
- Contemporary Cambodia: Labor, Development, and Society
- Vietnam Winter Break
- Global Citizenship and Sustainability in Borneo
All SEAP Academics
Use the filters below to explore our programs, internships, and study abroad opportunities.
This program is designed for students who did not major in Asian Studies as undergraduates or who want more work in language and area