European Studies Minor
Students from any college may choose an undergraduate minor in European studies. Through an interdisciplinary curriculum that you can mold to your interests, you’ll have the opportunity to explore Europe’s past, present, and future and demonstrate a knowledge of European languages, culture, history, politics, and international relations.
The minor offers the chance to take courses across colleges on subjects that shape your understanding of a globalizing world, while also providing you with an area of expertise. You will gain critical thinking skills, language abilities, and helpful frameworks for assessing today’s most pressing issues in Europe and around the world.
The requirements for the minor range from five to seven courses depending on the level of language proficiency already achieved:
- Completion of a core course - A variety of courses can be selected to serve as the core course for the minor. The general threshold for a qualifying core course is a minimum of 90% of the content is focused on Europe.
- Competency in a European Language - Competence can be demonstrated by completing a third-semester course (even if you have tested out of the first two), successfully passing a competency exam, or by being a native speaker of a European language. Students who pass the competency exam or are native speakers will have to substitute one additional course to reach the minimum five-course requirement.
- Completion of 3 elective courses - We encourage pursuing courses in an array of fields such as:
- Courses in European and comparative politics; a range of such courses are offered in government, sociology, and the School of Industrial and Labor Relations.
- Courses in modern European history (post-1789).
- Courses in (post-1789) English and European literature, comparative literature, semiotics, FGSS, fine arts, architecture, music, philosophy, and film and theatre arts.
- The general threshold for a qualifying elective course is a minimum of 50% of the content is focused on Europe.
List of potential courses available to complete the minor. *This list is not comprehensive.
Undergraduates in the College of Arts and Sciences can major in European Studies through the independent major or the College Scholar Program.
Take a 2-minute mini-quiz to see how far along you are in completing the minor.
|Survey QR Code|